Montpellier is estate 7 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. Field reconnaissance failed to locate ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The annotated Beck maps first draw in an animal mill in 1766. The 1799 Oxholm map and 1856 Parsons map both depict a windmill. None of the 20th century topographic maps depict any ruins identifiable as a windmill.
Most of the annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies attribute ownership to Ferral & Nugent, except the 1770 annotated map attributing Ferral & Kreky and the c.1770 annotated map solely to John Ferral with some spelling variation. Ownership by only Ferrall persists through 1791.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.129) notes a mill to the northwest of the road. In the 1920s, producing sugar cane and guavas.