Grove Place is estate 21 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. Field reconnaissance failed to locate ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation including an animal mill. While neither of the Beck printings depict a sugar mill icon, the annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies added a windmill. Both the 1799 Oxholm map and 1856 Parsons map include a windmill. The 1920s topographic sheet indicates a Mill in Field while the later topographic maps make no indication of ruins.
The 1750 map attributed ownership to His Excellence von Plessen. The annotated Beck maps starting in 1766 attribute ownership to John Baker. By 1770 and through 1791, ownership transitioned to Cornelius Hendrickson.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.90) notes in the 1920s agriculture pursuits including cane, grass, and provisions along with squatters’ land.