Golden Grove is estate 33 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. The windmill has been reduced to a foundation.
The first sign of sugar manufacturing is the 1766 annotated Beck map that depicts a windmill, one of only three of these maps to do so. Both the 1799 Oxholm map and the 1856 Parsons map depict a windmill. None of the 20th century topographic maps include ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies attribute ownership to John Irwin. By 1790 ownership transitioned to William Armstrong.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.84) provides basic naming and location information.