Estate Golden Grove (Manning Bay) – Animal Mill

Golden Grove [Manning Bay] is estate 48 in St. Croix’s Prince Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built by 1750.

The subdivision of estate 48 creates some difficulties in understanding where sugar machinery was located. While no settlement was indicated during the French period, by 1750 sugar was cultivated in estate 48 with an animal mill for crushing the cane. Consistent with this, both Beck printings included an animal mill in t he northern portion of estate 48. The Beck map variants retain the animal mill. The c.1767 and c.1770 maps converted the animal mill to a windmill. The 1766 annotated map along with both 1766 manuscript copies included a windmill in estate 33, north of the animal mill depicted in estate 48. None of the subsequent maps depicted any structures in estate 48.

In 1750, ownership was attributed to Lorentz Nissen. This transitioned to John Irwin on the Beck variants. By 1790, ownership was attributed to William Armstrong.

McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.84, 98, 124) notes that Golden Grove included other tracts and was also known as Irvin after John Irvin. Manning Bay is also noted as including the southern portion of estate 48 along with other tracts.

Historic Maps of Golden Grove (Manning Bay)

Snippet of the 1982 USGS topographic map featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
The 1982 USGS topographic map shows no ruins or other structures identifiable as an animal mill at estate 48.
Snippet of the 1958 USGS topographic map featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
The 1958 USGS topographic map shows no ruins or other structures identifiable as an animal mill at estate 48.
Snippet of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey topographic map of 1920 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
The 1920 USCGS topographic sheet shows no structures in the area of estate 48.
Snippet of the Danish Atlantic Islands Association map of 1907 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
The 1907 map indicates no settlement at estate 48.
Snippet of the Parsons map of 1856 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
Parsons’ 1856 map depicts no structures in the area of estate 48.
Snippet of the Oxholm map of 1799 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
Oxholm’s 1799 map shows no structures in the estate 48 portion of Golden Grove.
Snippet of the Janssen map of 1791 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
The 1791 manuscript map after Beck by Janssen attributes ownership to William Armstrong.
Snippet of the Mühlenfels map of 1790 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
The 1790 manuscript map after Beck by Mühlenfels attributes ownership to William Armstrong.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of c.1770 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
The annotated Beck map of c.1770 adds sails to the animal mill in estate 48 and attributes ownership to John Irwin.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1770 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
The annotated Beck map of 1770 depicts both an animal mill in estate 48 and attributes ownership to John Irwin.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of c.1767 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
The undated annotated Beck map of adds sails to the animal mill in estate 48 and attributes ownership to John Irwin.
Snippet of the Küffner map of 1767 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
Küffner’s 1767 manuscript copy of Beck’s map depicts a sugar mill and attributes ownership to Irwin in the area of Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1767 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
The annotated Beck map of 1767 depicts both an animal mill in estate 48 and attributes ownership to John Irwin.
Snippet of the Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
The Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 depicts both a windmill and animal mill in estate 48 and attributes ownership to John Irwin.
Snippet of the 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
The 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy depicts both a windmill and animal mill in estate 48 and attributes ownership to John Irwin.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1766 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
The annotated Beck map of 1766 depicts both a windmill and animal mill in estate 48 and attributes ownership to John Irwin.
Snippet of the Beck map printed circa 1757 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
Both Beck printings show an animal mill to the east of the stream in estate 48.
Snippet of the Beck map printed in 1754 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
Both Beck printings show an animal mill to the east of the stream in estate 48.
Snippet of the Cronenberg and von Jaegersberg map of 1750 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #48, currently named Golden Grove/Manning Bay.
The 1750 map by Cronenberg and von Jægersberg indicates sugar cultivation and structures including an animal mill in estate 48. Ownership attributed to Lorentz Nissen.