Enfield Green is estate 42 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. The windmill was blocked to store water after decommissioning. The windmill tower is partly collapsed.
By 1750, sugar and cotton cultivation in estate 42 was not accompanied by an animal mill, an addition that came with the second Beck map printing and persisting on the annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies.
Both the 1799 Oxholm map and the 1856 Parsons map depict a windmill. The 20th century topographic maps each depict ruins identifiable as a windmill at Enfield Green.
The 1750 ownership attributed to William Leonard shifted by 1766 to Ruderfort or his widow in the north and to Thomas Wilson in the south. By 1790, ownership transitioned to Ferrall.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.72) notes some of the ownership complications identified on the annotated Beck maps, locating a mill about the 34-foot know 200 yards from the south shore. In the 1920s, with sugar still cultivated, castor oil and pasture also pursued.