Estate Enfield Green – Animal Mill

Enfield Green is estate 55 in St. Croix’s Prince Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the late 1750s or early 1760s.

No settlement was indicated near estate 55 during the French period. By 1750, cotton cultivation was proceeding. While neither of the Beck map printings included any sugar machinery, the annotated Beck maps of 1766, 1767, and c.1770 all included an animal mill, as did the 1766 Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck. The 1766 unsigned manuscript map placed an animal mill in the neighboring estate 54 and the 1767 Küffner map noted a settlement. None of the subsequent maps noted any structures in estate 55.

The 1750 map attributed ownership to Andreas Benders. All the Beck variants attributed ownership to Thomas Willson, except the 1766 unsigned manuscript copy who named Robert Steward. By 1790, ownership transitioned to Ferrall.

McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.72, 199,142) indicates Enfield Green included tracts 42, 55, and the east half of 56, with the estate house about 1,200 yard from shore. In the 1920s, the estate included sugar cane plantations and a small castor oil plantation. The estate is alternatively called Wilson, after Thomas Wilson, and Oxholm in 1851, due to the ownership attributed to F. von Oxholm of Enfield plus 8 other estates.

Historic Maps of Enfield Green

Snippet of the 1982 USGS topographic map featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
The 1982 USGS topographic map shows no ruins or other structures in the area of estate 55.
Snippet of the 1958 USGS topographic map featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
The 1958 USGS topographic map shows no ruins or other structures in the area of estate 55.
Snippet of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey topographic map of 1920 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
The 1920 USCGS topographic sheet shows no structures in the area of estate 55.
Snippet of the Danish Atlantic Islands Association map of 1907 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
The 1907 map indicates no settlement at estate 55.
Snippet of the Parsons map of 1856 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
Parsons’ 1856 map depicts no structures in the area of estate 55.
Snippet of the Oxholm map of 1799 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
Oxholm’s 1799 map shows no structures in estate 55.
Snippet of the Janssen map of 1791 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
Oxholm’s 1799 map shows no structures in estate 55.
Snippet of the Mühlenfels map of 1790 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
The 1790 manuscript map after Beck by Mühlenfels attributes ownership to Ferrall.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of c.1770 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
The annotated Beck map of c.1770 places no animal mill in estate 42 or 55 and attributes ownership to Thomas Willson.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1770 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
The annotated Beck map of 1770 places no animal mill in estate 42 or 55 and attributes ownership to Thomas Willson.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of c.1767 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
The undated annotated Beck map of places an animal mill in estate 55 and attributes ownership to Thomas Willson.
Snippet of the Küffner map of 1767 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
Küffner’s 1767 manuscript copy of Beck’s map depicts a settlement but no sugar mill and attributes ownership to Wilson in the area of Enfield Green.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1767 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
The annotated Beck map of 1767 places no animal mill in estate 42 or 55 and attributes ownership to Thomas Willson.
Snippet of the Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
The Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 places an animal mill in estate 42 to the north of 55 and attributes ownership to Thomas Willson.
Snippet of the 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
The 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy places an animal mill in estate 42 to the north of 55 and attributes ownership to Thomas Willson.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1766 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
The annotated Beck map of 1766 places an animal mill in estate 42 to the north of 55 and attributes ownership to Thomas Willson.
Snippet of the Beck map printed circa 1757 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
Neither Beck printing shows a sugar mill icon in estate 55.
Snippet of the Beck map printed in 1754 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
Neither Beck printing shows a sugar mill icon in estate 55.
Snippet of the Cronenberg and von Jaegersberg map of 1750 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #55, currently named Enfield Green.
The 1750 map by Cronenberg and von Jægersberg indicates cotton cultivation in estate 55. Ownership attributed to Andreas Benders.