Die Liefde: Lower Love is estate 30 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. Field reconnaissance failed to locate ruins identifiable as a windmill.
None of the maps before the turn of the 18th century depict a sugar mill. The 1799 Oxholm map shows a windmill at New Love, as does the 1856 Parsons map. None of the 20th century topographic maps indicate any ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies consistently attribute ownership to Lucas De Windt’s heirs for estates 18, 19, 30, & 31.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.65, 121) notes die liefde translates from Dutch to the love. Of note to milling enthusiasts, the first corn mill on St. Croix erected here in 1918.