Castle Burk is estate 32 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. The windmill was likely demolished to make room for new construction. The estate was likely named for one of the early owners, Theob. Bourke. Field reconnaissance failed to locate ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map by Cronenberg and von Jægersberg indicates sugar cultivation and structures but no animal mill in estate 32. By 1754, the Beck map printings add an animal mill. Starting in 1766, most annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies of Beck added sails to depict a windmill in estate 32.
The 1799 Oxholm map shows a windmill at Castle Burk. The 1856 Parsons map depicts a windmill with a large cluster of structures.
The 20th century topographic maps depict no structures identifiable as a windmill. No evidence of this windmill has been found through field reconnaissance.
Ownership in 1750 attributed to Plern Will Shaffer transitions to Theob. Bourke by 1766. By 1790, ownership transitioned to William & Samuel Newton.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.51) makes the connection between Theob. Bourk and the estate name Castle Burk. Also notes the century later combination with River Estate and Newton’s Estate. A Newton owned Castle Burk and River in the 1790s.