Bog of Allen is estate 10 in St. Croix’s Prince Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the mid 1750s.
The first appearance of settlement in Bog of Allen is the second printing of the Beck map in the mid 1750s. All the later variants of the Beck map included an animal mill, as does the 1799 Oxholm map at the bog of Allen. None of the subsequent maps indicate ruins identifiable as an animal mill.
Ownership attribution on the Beck variants uniformly name Augustin Pentheny, with minor spelling variations. In the 1790s, maps attribute ownership to Penthony.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.25, 37, 144, 139) notes how the name of estate 10 has varied, including Allendale, Bog of Allen, and Pentheny. By 1856, the estate became part of Old Pye in Bushby Plantation.