Bettys Hope is estate 53 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1750s. The windmill was blocked to store water after decommissioning. The windmill tower is in good condition.
Sugar cultivation appears relatively early on Danish maps in the area of Bettys Hope. An animal mill in the combined estates 53 & 54 with appears on both the 1750 map and first printing of the Beck map. The second printing of the Beck map adds sails to the animal mill to depict a windmill.
The 1799 Oxholm map shows a windmill at the same relative location on the west side of estate 53, adding a double row of trees from the road to the structures. The 1856 Parsons map provides a similar configuration.
The 1920 topographic sheet shows Betty’s Hope Mill at elevation 42 feet and the USGS topographic maps show ruins identifiable as a windmill at Bettys Hope.
Many annotated Beck maps attribute ownership to Robert Stewart. The 1770 annotated Beck map attributes ownership to T. Thomsen, and the 1790 & 1791 manuscript copies by Mühlenfels & Janssen attribute ownership to S. Thompson.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.35) notes Betty’s Hope as extensive and flourishing.