Adventure is estate 34 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 19th century and decommissioned before 1856. The windmill tower is in good condition.
None of the historic maps indicate any settlement until an animal mill and ownership attribution was added to the annotated Beck maps starting in 1766, and even this set of maps provides inconsistent information.
The 1799 Oxholm map indicates two animal mill in the two sections of estate 35, named pleasant prospect in the west and Patience in the east, both at the lower extreme of the hill with a stream running to the northeast. The 1856 Parsons map indicates two towers with no sails in the same relative location.
The 1921 topographic sheet shows the Adventure Mill at 220 feet elevation atop a hill, while the USGS topographic maps show Ruins identifiable as a windmill in the same relative location.
While splitting the area between estates 34 and 35 into three sections, the annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies indicated consistent ownership of all three sections by members of the Lake from 1766-1791.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.24) notes the combination of estates 35 with the western portion of estate 34 into Estate Adventure and ownership by the Lake family.