Solitude is estate 15 in St. Croix’s Northside B Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built between 1770 and 1790.
No indication of settlement is found on the French map of 1671, the 1750 Danish survey, or the 2 printed Beck maps. None of the Beck variants show an animal mill. The1799 Oxholm map indicates an animal mill in the southwest corner of estate 15. None of the subsequent maps indicate any structures.
The 1766, 1767, and c.1767 annotated Beck maps attribute ownership to Robert Colhun’s heirs, with spelling variants, as do the 1766 unsigned and Zöllner manuscript copies of Beck. The 1770, 1790, and 1791 maps attribute ownership simply to Colhun, with spelling variants. All of these spelling variants seem to refer to the currently accepted Robet Colquohoun.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.179) attributes historic ownership to Robert Kalhuns heirs, consistent with the spelling of the 1767 annotated map in the Library of Congress. The description also notes the peak of Mount Eagle in the northeast corner of this estate with Solitude hill on the south slope of the estate.