Mount Pleasant is estate 11 in St. Croix’s Northside B Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the mid-1750s.
No indication of settlement is found on the French map of 1671 or the 1750 Danish survey. While the first printed Beck map shows no sugar machinery icon, an animal mill appears on the second printing. An animal mill icon appears in all the other annotated and manuscript copies of the Beck map in estate 11. Oxholm’s 1799 map depicts an animal mill in the southeast extremity of Mt pleasant estate. Of the subsequent maps, only the 1921 USCGS topographic map shows ruins of any kind, in this case at Little Fountain in the southeast corner of the estate.
Ownership of Mount Pleasant is attributed to variation of the first name of Johan Christ Testman on all the variants of the Beck map. By 1790, ownership was attributed to Baron de Breton on both the Mühlenfels and Janssen maps.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.131) notes the name as Little Fountain in estate 11 and Testman as attributed ownership.