Mount Eagle is estate 14 in St. Croix’s Northside B Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the late 1750s or early 1760s.
No indication of settlement is found on the French map of 1671, the 1750 Danish survey, or the 2 printed Beck maps. Only the 1766 annotated map and the 1766 Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck include an animal mill. None of the other Beck variants depict an animal mill. The 1799 Oxholm map depicts an animal mill in the extreme southwest corner of Mt Eagle estate. None of the subsequent maps depict any structures in the area of Mount Eagle.
Ownership of Mount Eagle is attributed to Robert Brown on the 1766 and 1767 variants of the Beck map and to Theobald Burke on the 1770 variants. By 1790, ownership was attributed to William S. Newton on both the Mühlenfels and Janssen maps.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.131) attributed ownership to Robert Brown with the estate house in the southwest corner, consistent with the Oxholm map. Curiously, the peak of Mount Eagle is not in this estate, but the neighbor to the west, Solitude.