Vallee includes estates 24 & 25 in St. Croix’s Northside B Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. The windmill was blocked to store water after decommissioning. The windmill is in good condition.
La Vallee indicates how locations near the north shore in Northside B quarter provided earlier access for sugar cultivation compared to more elevated locations. No settlement is indicated through the 1750s. In the 1760s, the annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies of the Beck map indicate an animal mill hand drawn into the map except the 1770 and c.1770 annotated Beck maps.
Both the 1799 Oxholm and 1856 Parsons maps indicate a windmill at La Vallee. The USGS topographic maps indicate windmill ruins at approximately 60 feet elevation at La Vallee which are not clearly identified on the 1921 topographic map that clearly identifies the La Vallee Chimney.
The 1760s annotated and manuscript copies of the Beck map attribute ownership to William Pickering. The 1790s manuscript copies of Beck attribute ownership Isaac Pickering.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.112) translates the French la vallee as the Valley and the likely location of the estate Mouchet during the French period. Notes the seat of a Moravian mission at Lavallee.