Canaan is estate 13 in St. Croix’s Northside B Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. The windmill was incorporated into a dwelling and is in good condition. The east side of the mill is exceptionally tall, contributed to by its position on the side of a hill.
Canaan first indicates an animal mill on the second printing of the Beck map, a feature also found on all the annotated and manuscript copies of the Beck map. The 1799 Oxholm map adds a windmill while the 1856 map only includes the windmill at Canaan.
The 1921 topographic map shows an old mill tower at an elevation of approximately 360 feet while the 1958 and 1982 USGS topographic maps do not indicate ruins, likely an indication of the windmill being incorporated into a dwelling before 1958.
Throughout the 1760s, ownership attributed to Cornelius Stallard on all the annotated and manuscript copies of Beck, with ownership transitioning to Kipnass on the 1790s manuscript copies of the Beck map.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.46) notes the estate planted in sugar cane in the 1920s and had combined with the neighboring Betsy’s Jewel.