William is estate 1-3 in St. Croix’s Northside A Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. Placement of the windmill near the shore suggests prioritization of shipping finished products over catching winds on the highest hilltops. The windmill was blocked to store water after decommissioning. The windmill is in good condition.
The area of estate William was very likely settled during the French period but showed with no cultivation on the 1750 map. Estate William became part of a 6-estate plantation by 1766, including both estates 1-3 in Northside A quarter along with estates 34-36 in West End quarter.
Sugar machinery first appears on the 1778 Oxholm map depicting an animal mill, replaced by a windmill on the 1799 map. The 1856 Parsons map also indicates a windmill, as do the 20th-century topographic maps, all of which reflect where the windmill ruins appear today in the field. McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.199) indicates cane still being grown in the 1920s and the steam chimney prominent object the estate at that time.
The 1750 map attributed ownership to Governor Solberg. By 1766, ownership of William plus the 5 other estates, transitioned to Augustine Boyd, whose relation to the John Boyd attributed ownership in 1767 remains unclear. The 1770 maps attribute ownership to Isaac Markoe, which transitioned to John Gordon by 1778 and then to Markoes heirs by 1790.