Sempills is estate 24 in St. Croix’s Northside A Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built between 1770-1794.
During the French period, a settlement is indicated near the location of estate Sempills, attributing ownership to Poupel. No settlement is indicated on the 1750 Danish survey. None of the annotated and manuscript copies of the Beck map show an animal mill in estate 24. Oxholm’s 1799 map shows an animal mill at Sempills. Subsequent maps show no structures and only the 1920s topographic sheets has the name Sempill.
All the Beck map variants attribute ownership to Thomas Dunbavin in the north of estate 24 and Peter Bleuw in the south. By 1790, ownership attributed to Durant.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.176) identify this as an Old Estate.