Punch is estate 4 in St. Croix’s Northside A Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. The windmill is in good condition. Given the regrowth of bush in recent decades, accessing this windmill currently presents significant difficulties.
The first suggestion of settlement of estate Punch is the ownership attributed to Roger Ferrall through the late 1760s with no indication of sugar machinery on any of the Beck map variants. By 1790, ownership transitioned to Ferrall’s heirs.
The 1799 Oxholm map includes a windmill at Punch, an icon also present on the 1856 Parsons map. The 20th-century topographic maps all indicate a windmill ruin on a hilltop at Punch.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.153) indicates the estate in grass and fruit trees in the 1920s, with both a mill and house on a 688-foot hill.
Estate Coakley Bay
Estate Cotton Grove
Estate Cotton Valley