Oxford is estate 5-6 in St. Croix’s Northside A Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. The windmill has been reduced to a foundation.
Like many estates in the highlands of Northside A quarter, Oxford was not likely settled until the 1760s. An animal mill appears on the three maps dated in 1766, although not on the maps also based on the Beck maps.
Both the 1799 Oxholm map and 1856 Parsons map indicate a windmill at Oxford. However, the only mention of sugar manufacturing structures on the 20th-century topographic maps is on the 1290 sheet showing an Old Mill Round, which may indicate an animal mill rather than a windmill. McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.142) indicates sugar cane growing on north side of road in 1920s.
Ownership attributions to William Low’s widow transitioned to William Lows in 1790, bringing into question if this represented a father to son ownership transition.