Northside is estate 37 in St. Croix’s Northside A Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 19th century. An inscription stone was removed. Other than that, the windmill is in good condition.
While no settlement indicated during the French period, in the Danish period, cotton cultivation took place by 1750. None of the Beck variants include any sugar manufacturing equipment.
The 1799 Oxholm map depicts an animal mill at Northside. By 1856, Parsons indicates a windmill at North side. All of the 20th-century topographic maps include an icon recognizable as a windmill.
Ownership attributed to Edward Pye in 1750. All of the Beck variants attribute ownership to Richard Richardsen. By 1790, ownership transitioned to Sempel.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.137) notes some sugar cane cultivated in the northeast portion; remainder bush in the 1920s.