Estate North Hall – Animal Mill

North Hall is estate 15 in St. Croix’s Northside A Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built between 1770-1794.

No indication of settlement is found on the French map of 1671 or the 1750 Danish survey. For the annotated and manuscript copies of the Beck map, none show an animal mill in estate 15. Oxholm’s 1799 map and its 1820 revision show an animal mill at North hall. None of the subsequent maps show any structures in the area of North Hall.

All the Beck map variants attribute ownership to Commerraad Johannes Sobodker, with a variety of spellings. The 1790 & 1791 manuscript maps after Beck by Mühlenfels & Janssen, respectively, attribute ownership to Daniel Barns on Mühlenfels and no attribution on Janssen.

McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.137) notes the location of the Old Estate as part of estate Nicholas.

Historic Maps of North Hall

Snippet of the U.S. Geological Service topographic map of 1982 featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
The 1982 USGS topographic map shows no ruins identifiable as a windmill in the area of North Hall.
Snippet of the U.S. Geological Service topographic map of 1958 featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
The 1958 USGS topographic map shows no ruins identifiable as a windmill in the area of North Hall.
Snippet of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey topographic map of 1920 featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
The 1920 USCGS topographic map shows no structures in the area of North Hall, with the name hand written on the sheet.
Snippet of the Danish Atlantic Islands Association map of 1907 featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
The 1907 map indicates no settlement in the area of North Hall.
Snippet of the Parsons map of 1856 featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
Parsons’ 1856 map depicts no structures at Mt. Washington, in the area of North Hall.
Snippet of the Oxholm map of 1799 featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
Oxholm’s 1799 map shows an animal mill at North hall.
Snippet of the Janssen map of 1791 featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
The 1791 manuscript map after Beck by Janssen attributes no ownership.
Snippet of the Mühlenfels map of 1790 featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
The 1790 manuscript map after Beck by Mühlenfels attributes ownership to Daniel Barns.
Snippet of the circa 1770 annotated Beck map featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
The c.1770 annotated Beck map shows no animal mill in estate 15 and attributes ownership to Commerraad Johannes Sobodker.
Snippet of the 1770 annotated Beck map featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
The 1770 annotated Beck map shows no animal mill in estate 15 and attributes ownership to Commerraad Johannes Sobodker.
The undated annotated Beck map shows no animal mill in estate 15 and attributes ownership to Commerraad Johannes Sobodker.
Snippet of the Küffner map of 1767 featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
Küffner’s 1767 manuscript copy of Beck’s map depicts a settlement in the area of North Hall with ownership attributed to Soebetker.
Snippet of the 1767 annotated Beck map featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
The 1767 annotated Beck map shows no animal mill in estate 15 and attributes ownership to Commerraad Johannes Sobodker.
Snippet of the 1766 Zollner manuscript copy of Beck map featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
The 1766 Zollner manuscript copy of the Beck map shows no animal mill in estate 15 and attributes ownership to Commerraad Johannes Sobodker.
Snippet of the unsigned 1766 manuscript copy of Beck map featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
The 1766 unsigned manuscript copy of the Beck map shows no animal mill in estate 15 and attributes ownership to Commerraad Johannes Sobodker.
Snippet of the 1766 annotated Beck map featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
The 1766 annotated Beck map shows no animal mill in estate 15 and attributes ownership to Commerraad Johannes Sobodker.
Snippet of the Beck maps printed in circa 1757 featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
Neither of the Beck printings depict any sugar machinery.
Snippet of the Beck map printed in 1754 featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
Neither of the Beck printings depict any sugar machinery.
Snippet of the Cronenberg and von Jaegersberg map of 1750 featuring Northside A quarter estate #15, currently named North Hall.
The 1750 map indicates no cultivation and attributes no ownership.