Nicholas is estate 25 in St. Croix’s Northside A Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. The windmill is in good condition.
Historic maps show no occupation through 1750. An animal mill depicted on the second Beck mill printing appears on all the maps based on this printing, indicating construction by the mid-1750s. The 1766 annotated map and the two manuscript copies all include an animal mill as well.
The 1799 Oxholm and 1856 Parsons maps both locate a windmill at Nicolas and Nicholas, respectively. The 20th-century topographic maps include an icon identifiable as a windmill.
Combined with estate 34, estate 25 on the annotated Beck maps attribute ownership to Patrick Byrne, with the exception of the 1766 annotated map and the two manuscript copies, all of which attribute ownership to Andres Langus. Ownership transitioned to Ferrals heirs by 1790.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.136) locates a Mill 725 yards northeast of Mount Washington.