Mt. Washington is estate 13 in St. Croix’s Northside A Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built between 1770-1794. The cockpit animal mill can be seen very readily today.
Like many other estates on the northwest of St. Croix, no indication of sugar manufacturing is found on most historic maps in the 18th century. The 1799 Oxholm map depicts an animal mill, while the 1856 Parsons map includes several structures at the end of the road. The 20th-century topographic maps show no structures or ruins.
Ownership attributed to Jeremiah Smith on the annotated and manuscript copies of Beck transitions to Richard Buntin by the 1770 maps. By 1790, ownership transitioned to G. Gordon.McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.132) notes the production of sugar cane, fruit, and vegetables in the 1920s.