Mount Victory is estate 16 in St. Croix’s Northside A Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 19th century. The windmill was blocked to store water after decommissioning. The windmill is in good condition.
Historic maps show no occupation through the 1750s in estates 16 or 26. The 1766 copies of Beck indicate an animal mill in estate 16, with the annotated and manuscript copies showing it in the northern half of estate 16. None of the other Beck variants depict sugar machinery.
Both the 1799 Oxholm map and 1856 Parsons map depict a windmill. However, Oxholm calls the estate Mount Pleasant and Parsons Mt. Victory.
The 1920 topographic sheet indicates the Victory Mill at an elevation of 712 feet. Going south from the mill is a dotted line, indicating the subterranean trough through which the juice would travel to the other sugar manufacturing buildings in the valley below. Both the 1958 and 1982 USGS topographic maps indicate ruins at Mount Victory in the same hilltop location.
Ownership attributed to Manning Roger or John & Manning Roger for estate 26 and Hendrich Barns for the northern half of estate 16 on the Beck variants. These ownership patterns persisted through 1791.
The 1767 Küffner map notes the place name Maronberg, also acknowledged in the accompanying account of Oldendorp. This name recognizes an area where people who escaped enslavement, also known as maroons, tended to reside.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.132) notes this estate formerly called Mount Pleasant and producing guavas and a little sugar cane in the 1920s. Although buildings noted in hollow southwest of hill, no mention made of windmill on the hilltop.