Mount Misery includes estates 15 & 16 in St. Croix’s Northside A Quarter. Sugar was produced by the 1760s with animal mill icons on various maps, with a decommissioned windmill only appearing on the 1856 map. No windmill ruins have been found in this estate, partly from limited investigation.
Historic maps show no occupation through the 1750s at Mount Misery. The 1766 copies of Beck indicate an animal mill in estate 16, with the annotated map showing it in the northern half and the manuscript copies in the southeast corner. None of the other Beck variants depict sugar machinery.
The 1799 Oxholm map indicates an animal mill just west of the road at Mount Misery, while the 1856 Parsons map indicates a decommissioned windmill tower. The 20th-century topographic maps indicate no structures in the area of Mount Misery.
Ownership attributed to Daniel Henry Barnes on the annotated and manuscript copies of the Beck map. Ownership transitioned by 1790 to William and Sam Newton for estates 14 and 15 and John Rogers for estate 16.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.131) describes Mount Misery as an Old Estate that was absorbed into Mount Victory.