Caledonia is estate 35 in St. Croix’s Northside A Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built between 1770-1794.
While the French map of 1671 shows a settlement with the name Muri in the area of Caledonia, the first Danish map of 1750 shows no settlement in the area. None of the printed, annotated, and manuscript copies of the Beck map show an animal mill in an unnumbered area in what became estate 35. The 1799 Oxholm map depicts an animal mill at Caledonia. None of the subsequent maps show any structures.
Any ownership attribution on the Beck map variants is to the widow Roger. By 1790, ownership was attributed to Farrington.McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.45) mentions estate being known as Cunningham Plantage.