Annaly is estate 18 in St. Croix’s Northside A Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. Reinforcing this, an inscription stone notes Ed 1803. The windmill was incorporated into a dwelling, likely before 1958 based on the absence of ruins on the topographic map. The windmill is in good condition.
Historic maps show no occupation through the 1750s in the as yet unnumbered estate 18. The 1799 Oxholm and 1856 Parsons maps both locate a windmill at Annally.
The 1920 topographic sheet shows a Mill at Annaly with other structures in the area. However, the 1958 and 1982 topographic maps do not show any ruins identifiable as a windmill, likely the result of the conversion of the windmill into a dwelling in 1946.
Ownership attributed for the as yet unnumbered estate 18 and estate 7 to the south of it to Nicolay Tuite on all the Beck variants. Ownership transitioned to Ferrals heirs by 1790.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (pp.26-27) notes that “ly” means shelter in Danish, suggesting the name translates to Anna’s lee, or shelter.