Little Fountain is estate 3 in St. Croix’s King’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. The western half of the windmill tower collapsed.
The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation but no animal mill. Both Beck printings depict and animal mill to the east of the stream running through the property, features remaining consistent on all the annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies.
The 1799 Oxholm map indicates a windmill on a ridge in the southern portion of Fountain at the end of a road coming up from the south and a structure to the east of the road. The 1856 Parsons map indicates a windmill at Lit Fountain with an elevation of 263 feet. Both these maps depict the windmill west of the stream.
The 1921 topographic sheet depicts an old mill tower with an elevation of 266 feet. The later topographic maps depict no ruins at Little Fountain.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Warnerus Abrahamsen. The annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies uniformly attribute ownership to Warner Abrah. Roger’s heirs. By 1790, ownership transitioned to Flanagan.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.117) mentions a milltower at Little Fountain.