Fredensborg includes portions of estates 13-14-17-18 in St. Croix’s King’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. The windmill was blocked to store water after decommissioning. The windmill is in good condition.
The 1750 map does not indicate cultivation in estates 13, 14, or 18. However, this map depicts sugar cultivation along with a settlement including an animal mill in estate 17. Neither of the Beck printings nor any of the annotated Beck maps or manuscript copies include a sugar manufacturing icon in estate 13. However, what became estate Fredensborg likely involves the property in the northeast quadrant of estate 17.
The first Beck printing included an animal mill in estate 17. This icon was changed on the second printing to a windmill in estate 17, an icon not changed on the annotated copies of Beck based on the 2nd printing. The 1766 annotated Beck map added sails to the animal mill in estate 17. The c.1770 annotated map added a windmill in estate 18, south of the Fredensborg mill current location. The c.1767 manuscript copy of Beck does not include any sugar manufacturing icons in any of the estates that became Fredensborg.
The 1799 Oxholm map incudes an animal mill in the center of the portion of estate 13 incorporated into Fredensborg. The 1856 Parsons map depicts a windmill at Fredensborg.
All the 20th century topographic maps include ruins identifiable as windmills. The 1921 topographic sheet provides an elevation of the mill at 144 feet.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Johannes Soeboeker for estate 13. The 1758 map includes estate 17 among those that attribute ownership to Parcel reserved for and worked by His Majesty. The annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies all attribute ownership to Martin Heyliger from 1766 through 1791.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.79) notes the name Fredensborg translates to Citadel of Peace.