Clifton Hill is estate 22 in St. Croix’s King’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s and decommissioned before 1856. The windmill was incorporated into a dwelling. The windmill is in good condition.
The 1750 map indicates no cultivation in estate 22. The first printing of the Beck map does not include a sugar machinery icon while the second printing includes an animal mill. All the annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies include a hand-drawn windmill, except the 1770 annotated map that only added landowner names.
The 1799 Oxholm map includes a windmill at Cliftonhill. The 1856 Parson map also includes a windmill at elevation 189 feet plus a tower without sails to the northeast of it and a square and another structure to the south. Both structures lie at the end of a road coming in from the west, the same as the configuration found on the 20th century topographic maps.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Abraham Markue, likely an alternative spelling of Markoe. All the annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies attribute ownership to Isaac, Frans, or Abraham Markoe. By 1790, ownership transitioned simply to Markoe.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.56) notes that Estate Clifton Hill is in sugar cane and grassland in the 1920s. The estate house on the point of the bluff at an elevation of 188 feet sits above a fan mill at elevation 103 feet with no mention of a windmill.