Annaberg & Shannon Grove is estate 27 in St. Croix’s King’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century and decommissioned before 1856. Field reconnaissance failed to locate ruins identifiable as a windmill.
Estate 27 had no indication of settlement until the annotated Beck maps in 1766. An animal mill was hand drawn on most of the annotated maps and included on the manuscript copies. The 1799 Oxholm map includes a windmill at Annaberg. However, by 1851, this windmill was decommissioned, since it appears as a tower on the Parsons map. None of the 20th century topographic maps indicate any ruins at Annaberg.
Ownership attributed to Rapzaat Heyliger on all the annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies from 1766 through 1790.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.26) notes how this estate was part of a broader plantation owned by Lieutenant Krause, for whom Krause Lagoon was named.