Estate Annaberg & Shannon Grove – Animal Mill

Annaberg & Shannon Grove is estate 32 in St. Croix’s King Quarter, although it is also appropriately called Anguilla. An animal mill was built here by the mid 1750s based on appearances on historic maps. Finding ruins of the structures is unlikely due to the location in the industrial area.

The area of estate 32 was occupied in the French period under the name Bilbas. While no cultivation is indicated on the 1750 manuscript map, the second Beck printing locates an animal mill in the far eastern portion of estate 32. All the Beck variants include an animal mill in estate 32. Oxholm depicts a structure, but not an animal mill, in estate 32 and calls it Caramaw hall. None of the subsequent maps indicate settlements or structures in estate 32 until the 1982 USGS photorevision includes modern industrial structures.

The 1750 map attributes ownership to Doctor Leeham. The beck variants, including Kuffner’s map, attribute ownership to Lieutenant Krause, albeit with spelling variations. By the 1790s maps, ownership transitioned to Heyliger’s heirs.

On some current maps, estate 32 is named Annaberg & Shannon Grove. The McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.26, 48) clearly includes estate 32, also known as Caramaw Hill, as part of estate Anguilla. McGuire makes no reference to Shannon Grove.

Historic Maps of Annaberg & Shannon Grove

Snippet of the U.S. Geological Service topographic map 1982 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The 1982 USGS topographic map shows no ruins in the area of Annaberg and Shannon Grove.
Snippet of the U.S. Geological Service topographic map of 1958featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The 1958 USGS topographic map shows no ruins in the area of Annaberg and Shannon Grove.
Snippet of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey topographic map of 1920 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The 1921 USCGS topographic map shows no structures at Caramaw Hill in the area of Annaberg and Shannon Grove.
Snippet of the Danish Atlantic Islands Association map of 1907 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The 1907 map indicates no settlement in the area of Annaberg and Shannon Grove.
Snippet of the Parsons map of 1856 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
Parsons’ 1856 map depicts no structures in the area of Annaberg and Shannon Grove.
Snippet of the Oxholm map of 1799 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
Oxholm’s 1799 map shows a structure but no sugar production at Caramaw hall.
Snippet of the Janssen map of 1791 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The 1791 manuscript map after Beck by Janssen attributes ownership to Heyliger’s heirs.
Snippet of the Mühlenfels map of 1790 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The 1790 manuscript map after Beck by Mühlenfels attributes ownership to Heyliger’s heirs.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of c.1770 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
the annotated Beck map of c.1770 depicts an animal mill in estate 32 and attributes ownership to Lieutenant Krause.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1770 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The annotated Beck map of 1770 depicts an animal mill in estate 32 and attributes ownership to Lieutenant Krause.
Snippet of the undated annotated Beck map featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The undated annotated Beck map of depicts an animal mill in estate 32 and attributes ownership to Lieutenant Krause.
Snippet of the Küffner map of 1767 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
Küffner’s 1767 manuscript copy of Beck’s map depicts a settlement near Annaberg & Shannon Grove with an ownership attribution to Krause.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1767 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The annotated Beck map of 1767 depicts an animal mill in estate 32 and attributes ownership to Lieutenant Krause.
Snippet of the Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 depicts an animal mill in estate 32 and attributes ownership to Lieutenant Krause.
Snippet of the 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy depicts an animal mill in estate 32 and attributes ownership to Lieutenant Krause.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1766 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The annotated Beck map of 1766 depicts an animal mill in estate 32 and attributes ownership to Lieutenant Krause.
Snippet of the Beck map printed circa 1757 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The second Beck printing indicates an animal mill in estate 32.
Snippet of the Beck map printed in 1754 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The first Beck printing does not indicate an animal mill in estate 32 while the second printing does.
Snippet of the Cronenberg and von Jaegersberg map of 1750 featuring King Quarter estate #32, currently named Annaberg & Shannon Grove.
The 1750 map indicates no cultivation at estate 32. Ownership attributed to Doctor Leehom.