Anguilla is estate 33 in St. Croix’s King’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. The windmill was blocked to store water after decommissioning. The windmill tower is partly collapsed.
Estate 33 had no indication of settlement until the annotated Beck maps in 1766. An animal mill was hand drawn on most of the annotated maps and included on the manuscript copies. A windmill appears on the 1799 Oxholm map and 1856 Parsons map. While the 1921 topographic map does not indicate a windmill, the 1958 map includes ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies of Beck uniformly attribute ownership to Merrick Turnbull. The northwest corner of the estate, what became known as estate 33a, had ownership transfer to Heyliger’s heirs by 1790, although Turnbull still owned the southern portion.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.26) indicates the Tinling sugar plantation controlled Anguilla, Annaberg, Spanishtown, and Blessing estates in 1851. McGuire also underlines how Anguilla bordered the former Krause Lagoon, noting mangroves growing on the property and an alternative name for the lagoon Anguilla Pond.