Pleasant Valley is estate 3 in St. Croix’s East End B Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built between 1770 and the 1790s and decommissioned before 1856. Through the 1760s, Daniel Mallet was indicated as the property owner. No field reconnaissance was done to locate ruins of the animal mill.
Estate Pleasant Valley has no settlement indicated through the first Beck printings. None of the Beck variants include any sugar machinery icons but do indicate landowner names in estate 3, with ownership extending into the northeast quadrant of estate 4. Oxholm’s 1799 map and the 1820 revision have an animal mill at the Valley, estate 3, which is currently Pleasant Valley.
The 1921 USGS map indicates poorly defined ruins in the general area. None of the other maps have any indication of settlement.
The McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands has no entry for Pleasant Valley.