Gumbs Land, now part of Cotton Valley, is estate 7 in St. Croix’s Company Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the 1740s and decommissioned by the 1790s. Benjamin Gumbs was identified as the landowner of the portion of the estate south of where the animal mill was located. No field reconnaissance was done to locate ruins of the animal mill.
What today includes Estate Gumbs Land and some of Estate Cotton Valley had no habitation in the French period. No windmill was believed to have been constructed here, but this was the first estate in East End B quarter that cultivated sugar.
Sugar was cultivated starting with the Cronenberg map in 1750 through 1770, with an animal mill depicted in the northern half of estate 7. On the variants of the Beck maps that included ownership, the northern half of estate 7, where the animal mill was located, is attributed to Isaac Markoe. The Küffner map of 1767 depicts a sugar mill at the Marko plantation, indication that Küffner did not discriminate between windmills and animal mills.
The only subsequent map to indicate any structures in the vicinity of estate 7 is the 1921 topographic map that includes unspecified ruins in the general area. The McGuire geographic dictionary has no entry for Gumbs Land.