The area of The Sight was likely occupied during the French period. By 1750, Johan Heiliger started cultivating sugar.
Both Beck map printings indicate an animal mill on the western side of estate 20. The annotated prints and manuscript copies note that Governor Heiliger’s heirs control the estate, except the c.1770 annotated copy indicating William Hartman as owner. The 1790s maps also indicate Hartman as owner.
The 1799 Oxholm map indicates an animal mill on the central ridge at the Sight. The 1820 revision to Oxholm’s map indicates a windmill on a ridge further south, while noting its prominence as a navigational aid with sight lines.
Parsons also notes a windmill at Sight. Different from Oxholm and the topographic maps, the roads drawn by Parsons have curves and intersections approaching the mill inconsistent with other maps.
The US Topographic maps note windmill ruins with a couple of structures around it. These ruin locations are consistent with field reconnaissance.
The McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 177) notes the Sight mill as a prominent navigation aid for the Buck Island Channel atop a hill at 180 feet elevation.