The area of estate Shoys was occupied during the French period. By 1750, the estate hosted a cotton plantation owned by Bertram Samuel Schuster.
The Beck printed maps, annotated prints, and manuscript copies do not depict any sugar machinery. These maps consistently attribute ownership to Michael Schaÿ. By the 1790s, ownership transitioned to John Heyliger.
Both Oxholm maps in 1778 and 1799 depict several structures with no clear indication of sugar or cotton cultivation at Shoys. The 1856 map indicates a windmill with structures to the east and west of it at Shoys.
The US Topographic maps note windmill ruins with multiple structures around it. These ruins are consistent with field reconnaissance on the property of the Buccaneer Hotel.
The McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 176) notes that Shoys was owned by F. DuBois for a sugar plantation in 1851.