Mount Washington is estate 33 in St. Croix’s East End B Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built between 1770 and the 1790s and decommissioned before 1856. Roland Franly/Franklin was attributed ownership through the 1760s and then Gordon in the 1790s. No field reconnaissance was done to locate ruins of the animal mill.
Settlement in the area of Mount Washington was evident by 1749, with provision cultivation in estate 33 and attributes property ownership to Benjamin Coakly. None of the Beck variants indicate an animal mill in estate 33. An animal mill appears on the 1799 Oxholm map. The subsequent maps indicate settlement at Mount Washington but no structures could be mistaken for an animal mill. Ownership attribution to Rowland Franklin on the Beck map variants is spelled Roward Franeklein, Rowland Franeklein, and Roland Franklÿ. By 1770, Franklin evidently had died, since ownership had transferred to the heirs. By 1790, ownership transferred to Gordon. McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.132) notes the ownership of the estate by Roland Frankly and the extent of estate Mount Washington beyond estate 33.