Mount Roepstorff and Southgate Farm includes estates 50 & 11 in St. Croix’s East End A Quarter. Mount Roepstorff and Southgate Farm’s name does not appear to derive from owners identified on historic maps. Sugar was produced by the 1760s, with a windmill appearing on Oxholm’s 1799 map. The windmill tower is in very good condition.
Settlement of the area of Mount Roepstorff and Southgate Farm extends to at least the French period on St. Croix. In the Danish period, the 1750 map indicates cotton cultivation in the southern portion owned by Joseph Lineefay and provisions in the norther portion owned by Kenny Barn.
The Beck printings show no sugar cultivation. However, most of the annotated maps and manuscript copies of Beck indicate an animal mill either in estate 11 or 50. These maps attribute ownership, with varied spelling, to John Cravin. By the 1790s, ownership changed to Thomas Bourk.
The 1799 Oxholm map depicted a windmill in the southwest corner of estate 50 and a structure to the southeast of it. Other structures, along with the indication of cotton cultivation, appear across East End Road. All lie within South-gate Farm. The 1820 revision to Oxholm indicates the same structures. Parsons indicates a windmill in the same relative location in 1856 at Southgate.
The US topographic maps indicate the ruins of a windmill at the same location as Oxholm and Parsons, confirmed by field reconnaissance. The elevation of the base of the mill is approximately 40 feet above sea level.
The McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 181) describes the Southgate plain to the south of Southgate pond and notes the farm buildings on a 60-foot rise, ½ mile from shore.