Marienhoj (Sally’s Fancy) is estate 21 in St. Croix’s East End A Quarter. The name does not appear to derived from owners identified on historic maps. No indication of sugar machinery appears on historic maps. Ruins of a windmill foundation exist on the site.
While not depicted on any maps, the ruins of a windmill foundation were found through field reconnaissance.
The area of Marienhoj was likely settled in the French period. By 1750, James Horoÿ owns the estate and cultivated cotton.
All the Beck map printings, annotated maps, and manuscript copies through the 1770s, indicate no sugar machinery. However, ownership attributed differently through the period indicates succession and sale. Three of the annotated prints attribute ownership to James Hovey’s heirs, with a variety of spellings. The 1776 manuscript map attributes ownership to Herman Helm, while the 1770 annotated map attributes ownership to Hardung.
By 1790, ownership varied between Stridiron, DeWint, Hode, and Bourk. Oxholm’s 1799 map indicates a structure and cotton cultivation at Eindracht. Parsons depicts a square at Sally’s Fancy, an unusual icon on his map.
The US topographical maps do not indicate any ruins. However, they do indicate structures in the area.
The McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 125) noted the site of the estate was only marked by a well in the 1920s.