Lowry’s Hill is estate 22 in St. Croix’s East End A Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the 1760s and remained in service at least until the 1790s. Some nondescript structures appear on the 1856 map. No field reconnaissance was done to locate ruins of the animal mill.
Settlement in the area of Lowry’s Hill reaches to the earliest times, with either Cortebotte or la Fleur attributed ownership in the French period and John on the initial 1749 Danish survey. While neither of the Beck printings had an animal mill, nearly all the annotated and manuscript Beck maps along with the 1799 Oxholm map included an animal mill at estate 22. All the subsequent maps indicate a settlement and/or ruins at Lowry(s) Hill. Ownership attribution on the Beck map variants is spelled Lewry, Loury, or Lowry, with the c.1770 map attributed to Seÿbech. By 1790 ownership transferred to Stridiron and Howel. McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.121) notes the ownership in 1754 by George Loury and in the 1850s of Arnesen Estates.