Fareham is estate 39 in St. Croix’s East End A Quarter. Fareham’s name does not appear to derive from owners identified on historic maps. A decommissioned windmill tower only appears on the 1856 Parsons map. The windmill tower is in good condition and lies abandoned.
Fareham estate only has an indication of sugar production on the 1856 Parsons map, with the icon of a decommissioned tower, similar to the icon at neighboring Castle Nugent. However, given the existing ruined windmill tower at the location increases the confidence of past sugar cultivation.
In 1750, settlement of the north half of the estate indicates cotton cultivation and provision cultivation in the south. The ownership in the north by William Farrington transfers to his widow, Elizabeth, during the 1760s. Similarly, the southern half consistently sees ownership attributed to Hecky and Anderson. No sugar manufacturing icons appear on the Beck maps, annotated maps, or manuscript copies.
The Oxholm map of 1799 uses the name Faraham for this estate with an indication of cotton cultivation. The 1856 Parsons map shows what appears to be a decommissioned windmill tower, similar to the icon at neighboring Castle Nugent, and additional structures to the west without providing a location name in an area west of where Oxholm located four structures.
All of the US topographic maps identify a windmill ruin in a location consistent with field findings.
The McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 74) indicates the estate house and mill location of 110 yards from Fareham Bay, consistent with the locations on maps and in the field.