Castle Nugent is estate 41 in St. Croix’s East End A Quarter. Castle Nugent’s name does not appear to derive from owners identified on historic maps. The suggestion of a windmill tower only appears on the 1856 Parsons map, with no field evidence found.
Estate Castle Nugent has limited information indicated about it on historic maps, with some level of uncertainty if a sugarcane crushing windmill was ever built there. The northern portion of the estate is where the sugar crushing mill may have been located. The indication of the icon on the Parsons map is the only indication that sugar may have been cultivated at Castle Nugent.
A settlement cultivating provisions appears on the 1750 map. None of the Beck maps, annotated maps, or manuscript copies indicate sugar machinery and attribute ownership to Betraliel Hughes through the 1770s, and then Goodchilds in the 1790s.
The Oxholm map of 1799 uses the name Nugent for this estate with an indication of cotton cultivation. The 1856 Parsons map shows what appears to be a decommissioned windmill tower, similar to the icon at neighboring Fareham, and additional structures to the south at Castle Nugent in approximately the same location where Oxholm located a structure.
While the US topographic maps identify structures in the location where Oxholm and Parsons identified them, none of them are demarcated as ruins or as windmills. Field reconnaissance found no evidence of a windmill built on this site.
The McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.51& p. 138) under the entry Nugent notes the estate house ½ mile from the shore.