Retreat is estate 16 in St. Croix’s Company’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century and decommissioned before 1856 based on the omission on the Parsons map. The windmill has been reduced to a foundation.
Sugar cultivation came early to estate 16, with structures including an animal mill depicted on the 1750 map. Both Beck printings depicted an animal mill in estate 5, staying this way with the annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies.
The 1799 Oxholm map depicted a windmill in the southwest corner of Retreat, consistent with field reconnaissance. The 1856 Parsons map omits a windmill or tower in the area. None of the 20th century topographic maps depict ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Janny Hartman. For the annotated Beck maps from 1766 through 1770, ownership transferred to Hartman’s widow. By 1790, ownership became split between J. Hartman and Christopher McEvoy.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.157) notes the location of the residence on road, 7/8 mile from Vagthus Point. Notes how the estate became attached part of Botkin Plantage with an early owner of Enken (“the widow”) Hartman.