Recovery Hill is estate 24 in St. Croix’s Company Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the 1760s and decommissioned before 1856. No field reconnaissance was done to locate ruins of the animal mill.
The 1750 map depicts cultivation of cotton and provisions in estate 24. Neither of the Beck printings included a sugar mill icon. About half the annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies added an animal mill.
The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps both depicted an animal mill at Recovery. The 1856 Parsons map depicted no structures in the area. None of the 20th century topographic maps depict ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map attributed ownership to Gouverneur Hanssen. All the maps from the 1766 annotated Beck map through the 1778 Oxholm map attributed ownership to Peter Wood. Ownership in 1790 transitioned to William Wood.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.) notes the location and originally plantage of Peter Wood. Locates the residence at end of trail in glen, 5/8 mile south-southeast of Fort.