Orange Grove is estate 3 in St. Croix’s Company’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. The windmill was incorporated into a dwelling. The windmill tower is in good condition.
Sugar cultivation came early to estate 3, with structures including an animal mill depicted on the 1750 map. Both Beck printings depicted an animal mill in estate 3. The annotated Beck maps added sails to the animal mill to depict a windmill.
The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps depict a windmill at Orange Grove. The 1856 Parsons map omits a windmill or tower on the main map at Orange Grove but includes a windmill on the inset of Christiansted. All the 20th century topographic maps depict ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to James Royte. Between 1766 and 1770, ownership shifted between Thomas Callamap’s heirs, John Suple and his widow, and Callanon. Ownership remained with Christopher McEvoy on the 1778 Oxholm map and 1790 and 1791 Beck manuscript copies.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.140) notes the location and early owner Suple.