Herman Hill is estate 10, 11, & 33 in St. Croix’s Company’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. The windmill was blocked to store water after decommissioning. The windmill tower is in good condition.
The 1750 map depicts sugar cultivation with structures including an animal mill in the northwest corner of estate 10. Both Beck map prints depict an animal mill in the western edge of estate 10. The annotated Beck maps add sails to the animal mill to depict a windmill starting in 1766.
The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps depicted a windmill at the southern edge of estate 33 at elevation 257 feet on Hermon hill. The 1856 Parson map also depicted a windmill at Herman Hill. All the 20th century topographic maps depict ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map attributes ownership of estate 10 to Samuel Downings heirs and estate 32 to Samuel Graves. Staring with the 1766 annotated Beck map, ownership transitioned to Thomas Lillie. The 1778 Oxholm map attributed ownership to Peter Nugent’s heirs. By 1790, ownership shifted to Christopher Nugent.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.94) notes the same as Lillie Plantage in an L-shape with an estatehouse on hill.