Grange is estate 9 in St. Croix’s Company’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. The windmill has been reduced to a foundation.
Sugar cultivation came early to estate 9, with the 1750 map depicting cane fields and a house but no animal mill. Both Beck printed maps depict an animal mill, with the annotated maps adding sails to depict a windmill.
The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps both depict a windmill at The Grange. The 1778 map also includes an animal mill. None of the 20th century topographic maps depict ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to James Lytan. The annotated maps and manuscript copies of Beck appear to transition ownership in the order of John Dann, Roger Ferrall, and Nichol. Tuite. The c.1770 annotated Beck map appears to name Rich Taite, but this may be a corruption or misinterpretation of Nicholay Tuite. The 1778 Oxholm map attributes ownership to Cammerherr Tuite, while the 1790 and 1791 maps simply to Tuite.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.85) notes Roger Ferrall as an early owner.