Granard is estate 17 in St. Croix’s Company’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. The windmill has been reduced to a foundation.
Sugar cultivation first appears in estate 17 on the 1766 Beck manuscript copies and 1767 annotated map through the depiction of a windmill. The 1799 Oxholm map and 1856 Parsons map both depict a windmill at Granard. The 1919 topographic sheet depicts ruins that could represent a windmill, although the later topographic maps do not.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Richard Schmidt. By the mid-1760s, estate 17 was consolidated into a much larger plantation owned by Christopher McEvoy and this ownership remained through the 1791 map.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.85) notes structures in the estate 17 portion of combined ownership and identifies a variety of early owners of individual estates, with McWoy owning estate 17.